Saturday, May 14, 2011

Guppy House- Enough Said



Let me preface this blog by stating that I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into! Guppy House- Last Saturday night... NOT AT ALL WHAT I EXPECTED

Went to dinner with my friend Kevin, who by all intents and purposes, raved about this place. I was a smidgen afraid because I like to be in control and like to know what to expect, and this one threw me for a loop. I was game though, and put on my big girl eating pants and away we went to Guppy House, an Oriental Restaurant which surprised me so much.

The music was bumping some old school R&B which made me laugh. They had Boyz II Men going, and some Usher, with the low lighting and it just was not at all what I had expected based on what Kevin had told me. No one was over 30 in the restaurant and from what I was told, this was the place to be!
They had a 2 page drink menu- and I don't mean Alcohol! They served everything from Boba any way you like it to Thai Iced Tea- which I had. They had hot tea, cold tea, Luke warm tea, fruit smoothies, boba smoothies, juice smoothies- you name it they had it!

Kevin got the hot fruit tea. It tasted sooooo good and the fruit inside was yummy. I was a little disappointed though when Kevin told me that he thinks all it is is hot Motts fruit juice and apple juice with fresh fruit added. But hey, it still tasted good.


We started with Sweet and Sour Popcorn Chicken- not exactly Pork Feet with beef broth, but it was delicious! I wasn't sure what I though when it got to the table. I was thinking Orange Chicken from Panda Express, but this was way better. The sauce was so good, just the prefect balance, not too much sour and just enough sweet. I personally thing sweet and sour often tastes rotten and so it isn't something I like to eat all that often, but this was really good.



Next we got Hawaiian Fried Rice. Yes, it was served in a pineapple. Andie always said that presentation is half the work of a good meal, and this one was really creative! Pineapples, bell peppers, corn, eggs, scallions, and raisins were sprinkled in the rice. You don't need Soy sauce. This is the real deal. It was perfectly flavored and honestly the sweet of the pineapple and raisins makes such a difference. At first I really didn't like the fact that it was sweet. But the flavors develop as you eat and I really ended up enjoying the fried rice.

What's on top of the rice that looks like cinnamon you ask? Well, we wondered the same thing- its DRIED PORK. Honestly, I was a little freaked out, but it was so good and so salty. I have never had anything like it before, and it was great!

We also shared Beef Skewers. The flavors were really delicious. My only problem was that the meat was extremely fatty which made it tough to eat. The flavors were spot on though and it looked beautiful, but not my personal favorite~



Here is where the night got interesting- Dessert.
Kevin ordered the small shaved ice with mangoes and strawberries. I had to stand up to take this picture to get the whole bowl in the frame. IT WAS HUGE. I am not exaggerating. Look Below.

This thing was massive. We didn't even make a dent in the shaved ice. And all the while we had another dessert coming- MY NEW LOVE- BRICK TOAST



This is what I like to call heaven, again. Brick Toast.
It is a 2 inch, yes 2 inch piece of sweet toast, covered in thick chocolate ganache served with strawberries, ice cream and caramel sauce. It is served hot and melts in your mouth. The textures of the crunchy 2 inch thick toast with the melted chocolate and ice cream is to die for. All night I kept smelling this rich chocolaty smell off and on, and Kevin told me that it was the Brick Toast cooking. Did we need an additional dessert with all the food we barley made a dent in on top of the mound of Shaved ice that probably weighed 10 lbs??? Probably not- but after smelling the Brick Toast and hearing what it was all about- I HAD to have some.

The best part is that our waiter, Kenny, a really sweet kid, told me that they make different kinds of Brick Toast; Nutella, peanut butter and Jelly, fruit, etc... I want to try the peanut butter and jelly next time. It has been exactly 6 days since we went to Guppy House and I have been dreaming of Brick Toast every single night since. I cannot wait to go back.

I thought it would be a traditional, old school Oriental restaurant that was very conservative and traditional with their dishes. Was I ever so wrong!!! It was a really fun time! Great food, HUGE portions, lots of new flavors and things I had never tried, and now a dessert that haunts my dreams. Would I call the Guppy House experience a success- definitely!!!



Also, I pretty much automatically fell in love with this place based on aesthetics and name alone!!! There are small little fish tanks built into the wall all around filled with cute little fish! No Alicia, not the kind you eat!

And I love anything in the water- I am a guppy myself afterall so this was purely destiny! Kevin, officially Thank you for introducing me to Guppy House! What a hit!



No comments:

Post a Comment