Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Day in the life of a Muffin Top

So, the title is a little bit misleading- it should say "A not so typical day in the life of a Muffin Top." But today I decided to document what I ate and it happened to be a little bit of an exciting day; at least for dinner.
For now, we can just start with lunch.
Steak & Bleu Cheese Salad
Hot Cuban Panini
 
Above, you will see my selection from Panera Bakery. I ordered the "You pick 2" menu option, and ordered the Signature Steak & Bleu salad, paired with a half of a Signature Cuban Panini.
The Cuban Panini consisted of "All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, smoked, lean ham, sweet & spicy pickle chips, Swiss, chipotle mayo & sun-dried tomato ale mustard on our Focaccia." It has a hint of spicy from the tomato ale mustard which is amazing! I hated the pickle chips to be honest, but it was a hot pressed half of a panini so I couldn't exactly take the pickle chips out of the melted cheese.
The Steak & Bleu salad was incredible. I love a salad, but have to be in the mood for it, as I am sure, anyone does. This salad sounded so good to me. It was filled with "Seared top sirloin, romaine, frizzled onions, tomatoes & gorgonzola, all tossed with blue cheese vinaigrette and drizzled with a cabernet reduction." The portion was perfect. Not Huge, not small, just a perfect small half salad to accompany my sandwich. I think its funny that they called the fried onions "frizzled." It makes no sense to me, why can't they just cal them fried onions like any normal person? I will never understand that!



Dinner was a treat. Jackson and I went on a date with my very sweet and dear friend Marissa. Marissa has been a friend to me through the good, the bad, and the ugly, and continues to be such a good friend. I love her so much and am lucky to have a friend like her; she always smiles and it is contagious.

We went to a really Delicious restaurant in Old Towne Orange called Rutabegorz- pronounced ROOT~EH~BAH~GOOR~AHS

The story behind the restaurant is as important and impressive as the food.


Way back in 1970, four college students opened the doors to a small "hippie joint" which took its name from a spin on the word for the unloved turnip, the rutabaga. In the beginning serving only coffee and desserts, Rutabegorz has evolved through numerous menu additions and changing consumer tastes over the years into today's full service health conscious restaurant.
In addition to its many vegetarian dishes, Ruta's also offers white breast of chicken, turkey, tuna and assorted lean deli meats. All our unique salad dressings as well as our mayonnaise, sour cream and milk are low in fat content. As usual our fresh fruits and vegetables are of the highest quality available. We use no MSG in any of our recipes. Try one of our famous desserts, always made in-house.
Our mission is to provide the community with a healthy alternative to traditional restaurant offerings, without sacrificing taste. We strive to make your experience positive, and hope you'll enjoy our unique food, casual atmosphere, and friendly servers.
Remember, you are what you eat, from your head to your feet. Don't be a fast-food junky. Feel good, feel energetic and remember to eat all your vegetables.


So between our fanning over Jackson, feeding him a healthy, fresh, and MSG-free dinner, Marissa and I gossiped, caught up and just had a great time! We eventually ordered dinner and kept up with the chit-chat.

My dinner is seen above- I ordered the Chicken Enchiladas Verde. The serving is huge and delicious! Chicken and cheese stuffed in corn tortillas and covered with green sauce. Served with avocado, rice, beans and chips.   $10.75
For the price, you get tons of food, and everything is full of flavor. The enchilada sauce is light, but slightly spicy, and tastes very delicious. I love the avocado which is served on top, dipped in the verde sauce. Jackson did too!

Peasant Mushrooms
Mushrooms stuffed with a vegetable medley. Served on top of rice pilaf. Topped with cheese and broiled to perfection. Served with cheese bread.   $9.95
Marissa ordered the Peasant Mushrooms, which was a bit risky I thought! She loved them from what she told me. She gave me a bite, and I really liked it as well. I loved the wild taste of the mushrooms.

The menu at Rutabegorz is really large, and after going to all three of the locations over the years, Tustin, Orange, and Fullerton, I can honestly say that I have eaten and loved everything I have tried. In the winter, I love the Cocky-Leeky soup. In the summer, I love the Turkey Cranberry Sandwich with cream cheese, and year round, I love the homemade desserts.
The ambiance is casual but homey and the staff is always nice. If you have not been to Rutabegorz, I suggest you go! It is perfect right now in summer to sit outside, have an iced tea, and catch up with an old friend!
Mariss- Thanks again for the good time. Jack and I loved to see you and loved catching up! Can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment