Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Citrus City Grille- Old Town Orange

One of my favorite places to eat at, year round, is Citrus City Grille in Old Town Orange. They have other locations, but the original location and truest in decor and taste is in Orange.



The first time I ever went to this restaurant was with Andie, my oldest sister. This used to be an account for her when she was working for Kendall Jackson Wine. I can tell you as first impressions go, I will never forget my first taste of their oil and balsamic vinegar concoction with their fresh made warm foccacia bread dipped in. It is incredible. The oil/vinegar mix is unbelievable. It is fragrant, much thicker than any other mix like it. I can remember when I rented a room from fellow Chapman University students and lived on my own, I would buy this mix by the bottle at $22 a piece with tax and eat bread dipped in this mix for dinner. That's how good it is. That is how much I love oil/vinegar mix. I have continued eating here now for years with my family, friends, etc...








As you sit down and start snacking on the bread, you will begin to take in the ambiance. The colors are bold and warm. The atmosphere is clean, minimalistic, and very direct. From anywhere in the dining room you have a view of the kitchen including the wood burning oven where they bake their flat bread pizzas. Outside on the patio, you look out onto Glassell Ave., and the shops of Old Town Orange. People are walking by, getting yogurt across the street, looking in windows, and this all makes for a great time people watching. During the winter, they have heaters on which provide more than adequate heat. This is part of the reason I love Citrus City so much; I crave it year round.


I was beyond delighted when the server told me that in addition to the Potato Leek Soup of the Day, the chef was also serving ButterNut Squash soup. I was so thrilled.





My soup came out piping hot, which is the only way I think soup should be served. The soup was creamy and so amazing. I like a thick cream base and this ButterNut Squash soup was thick, hot, and amazing. I could taste bold flavors in each bite. There was a small garnish of caramelized onions on top which only added to the flavors. I could taste Paprika which was lightly sprinkled on top. I adored this soup and have decided that next time someone asks me what I can't live without it will be ButterNut Squash soup.


Above is the calamari appetizer; which I did not enjoy. I think calamari is extremely chewy and a texture I try to avoid. It isn't something that I like, and this was no exception.


Meatloaf= not great reviews


I, on the otherhand, ordered instinctively, and ordered the free range duck. I have had many things off of the menu, but had never seen this duck before. It was free range duck, with a cranberry demi-glaze reduction, served alongside parsnip mash with spring vegetables. Atop of the parsnip purée you will see a Rosemary garnish.


The duck was incredible. And I am not being facetious. The duck was mildly fatty and cooked perfectly. It was moist and tender without being chewy and Overcooked. The demi glaze reduction was thick, but smooth, and had perfect notes of bold bitter cranberries, with the sweetness of wine. I fell in love with this reduction sauce.
My only complaint was that the cranberries which were served on the plate in the reduction sauce were al dente. They were not cooked at all. I think it would have added to the dish in so many ways had the cranberries been cooked. The texture would have added depth to the sauce, but the blatant crunch was gross and off putting. It was my only complaint.


The parsnip purée was delicious. It was something that I have never had before, but it was a really delicious treat and a complete complement to the duck.



I highly recommend Citrus City Grille to anyone who is looking for a delicious dinner in a warm, fun atmosphere. The pricing is a small amount above average buy worth every penny. I dreamt about my delicious duck for two nights in a row.


Citrus City Grille
Restaurant/Cafe · Orange, California
Information
Address
122 North Glassell Street, Orange, CA 92866 · Get Directions
Phone
714-639-9600

Website
http://www.citruscitygrille.com/

Hours
Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 10:00 am
Sun: 9:30 am - 10:00 am
122 North Glassell Street, Orange, CA 92866
About
Outrageous dining in old town Orange!
Price Range
$$ (10-30)
Parking
Street
Parking Lot
Valet
Payment Options
Services
Takes Reservations
Walk-Ins Welcome
Good For Groups
Good For Kids
Take Out
Waiter Service
Outdoor Seating
Specialties
Lunch
Dinner
Drinks
Browse Places

No comments:

Post a Comment