Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Haven Gastropub- Old Towne Orange

gastropub

gástrō pùb noun Brit. a British term for a public house that specializes in serving high-quality food.

ORIGIN 1990s: blend of gastronomy and pub.






As promised, Amanda and I ventured out on Monday night in hopes of re-doing our date night, with no kids. We had a great night! The food was incredible to say the least and it was really nice to relax for a few hours with a really good friend!
Amanda and I ended up at Haven Gastropub in the Orange Circle. I know, I know; I frequent there a lot, but the restaurants have really come full circle there and you cannot beat the atmosphere.

Haven was opened Street Fair weekend in 2009 and has been doing brilliantly ever since. Everyone I know loves Haven and has nothing but incredible things to say!





I was really bummed because I didn't remember to bring my big camera, but as I quickly decided, this only proved to be a reason to come back! I always want my blog to have the same integrity as the original moment when I tried a certain food or was in a certain environment and while my Iphone takes decent pictures, there is no way that these pictures are doing the blog justice!


If you haven't heard, Haven is famous for their Mac n' Cheese. Of course this is the first thing that I searched the menu for when we sat down. I have had it once before and literally almost died because it was so Delicious.




The atmosphere was good, it was quiet when we got there right at 6pm. By the time we left, there was a wait, the bar was full, and there was a buzz about in the dining room. It definitely is the go-to place in Old Towne for what seemed to  be new Chapman students, fresh faced, and ready to show their shiny new fake I.D.'s. At least that was my opinion.


Hefenweizen



Amanda's Mommy Mai Tai








Take note Muffin Topzz- Because this Mac n' Cheese is no joke. I would like to officially declare this the best Mac n' Cheese of my life. While the Barcelona on the Go food truck had its fair run with their Manchego Mac n' Cheese, I can easily say that this is the best I have ever had. It all depends on preference and what you like but this sang to me as if we were soul mates that had been found.

I crave a gooey, cheesy, sharp, rich, melty Mac n'Cheese. The Haven version is delicious and I think that the main reason is due to the pungent cheeses. I said to Amanda that I could smell it before it reached the table. The cheese was so thick and gooey, and the black truffles made it more than a home cooked dish that you could find anywhere. The dish was elevated by the truffles but rich enough and cheesy enough to maintain its integrity as a classic staple in an average Americans diet. Amanda and I literally ate every single noodle in the dish and left no crunchy goodness caked on any of the edges! My mouth is watering as I type this because I can remember the taste with a sense memory and I want more!!!

Word to the wise- Amanda shared with me a crucial tip about when making Mac n' Cheese at home- She was told by her mom, who is soooooo funny, to always heavily salt the water. This makes so much sense to me because a common issue I have with this dish is not enough flavor. I don't think you can rely solely on the cheese, you need that extra push to bring the dish to its full potential- in Haven's case- the black truffles.












Next was the seasonal flat bread which sounded and looked so good. The Apricot chutney was incredible, and happens to be a favorite ingredient of mine as we all know. Something about the pistachios brought a tang and almost spice to the flat bread that reminded me of a yellow Indian Curry. This was the sleeper dish of the night for me.
I expected it to be good, but not phenomenal. The flavors were so bold, and robust, you tasted each ingredient as you chewed each bite. My only gripe is that I hate crunchy bread. I know this was a flat bread, but I feel that it was a tiny bit overcooked which made not for a quite as enjoyable bite when you got to the edges. I skipped mine like a little kid, I know it's rude, but I couldn't help it. I didn't want to ruin the tastes that I had going on in my mouth with the lingering flavor of smoke and burnt bread.






The Haven Burger, as described by our waiter, is their most popular entree. Kevin, Amanda's husband, who was home with their sweet new baby girl Avery, said that this is his favorite thing on the menu. Amanda and I ordered two entrees and shared. The burger was incredible.



There were two things that made this burger stand out to me.
1. The arugula- I enjoy lettuce, but there is something to be said about using delicate Arugula on a cheeseburger. I think the texture is creamier than lettuce and it just complements the meat. Flavor is subtle, and hints to a crispiness that is needed, but not overpowering to the rest of the burger.
2. Pickled Red Onions- I am not a fan of pickled anything, but these were unbelievable. First of all, the crunch and snap that they provided to the burger was exactly what the burger needed. The bright flavor with the cheese and the juicy meat was the perfect combination. I know that I said Peter's Gourmade made the best burger I have ever had, but literally, this burger topped it, hands down.



Fries were basic and delish, but yes Amanda, the ketchup was weird. Really weird.

















To me, the standout of this dish was the Cheddar cheese grits. The shrimp was good wrapped in bacon, but not earth shattering as I had hoped. It was good though, don't get me wrong.
The earth shattering item, was the cheddar cheese grits with the Cilantro Oil. The consistency was spot on for homemade grits. The salsa, and cilantro oil were really unexpected, but added so much and made this dish fabulous. There was a hint of spice that kicked into you after you had already taken a huge bite. I really loved the grits, and they seemed to have such a familiar flavor, but were like nothing I have ever had before!


Haven Gastropub, or Haven, as everyone calls it is incredible. It is a must stop for any foodie within 50 miles. If you are a libations connoisseur, their bar, beer & wine lists are extensive and impressive. I cannot wait to go again and to try new items on the menu. Everything sounds incredible to me and I want to spend a month just eating my way through their menu. My wallet wouldn't like that, by I know I would. Don't miss this place, it is worth every single penny!

Contact Us

190 South Glassell Street Old Towne Orange, CA 92866
T:
714 221 0680
F:
714 221 0682
info@havengastropub.com

Location & Hours

We are located in Old Towne Orange on Glassell street, just south of the circle.
We are open everyday 11:00am-2:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment