Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Catch- Birthday Dinner with my Dad

I want to preface this dinner by stating what an incredible meal, and overwhelming amount of food this was. My Dad took me to dinner for my birthday on Monday night. I didn't have Jackson :-( so this seemed like the best night to go for an adult dinner. My dad, sisters, Andie, Stephanie, and Colleen all went, as well as Colleen's boyfriend Chad! Alix was my only sister who was missing. She is on total and complete bed rest until my niece Brylee gets here, so she had to stay home. Don't worry- we ate enough for Brylee and Alix together! We had so much fun and it was a really great night.


Table side service- he prepped ahi lettuce cups for an appetizer, as well as searing some yellow tail in hot sesame oil which you will see below.

My Dad insisted on the crab cake which was delicious. It was extremely cheesy and gooey, completely the opposite of what I was expecting.

The crab cake was toasted on the outside and provided that perfect crunch for texture that you needed as you bit into this app.

The previously mentioned ahi lettuce cups. They were great! I did feel like this dish wasn't complete though. It was lacking something, I felt that maybe a touch of sesame seeds would have been perfect to finish it off, but don't get me wrong- I ate the whole entire thing!



This is the seared yellow tail that is done table side. It is incredible. They heat up the sesame oil and pour it over the sashimi. Then they top it off with onion strings which are fried, and as you can see, this is simply delicious. The yellow tail melts in your mouth and the after taste of the lingering sesame seed oil is amazing! This was my favorite appetizer of the night! But I love raw fish so it was a no brainer.

Basic Artichoke- the seasoning was good, but I do not love to eat with my hands if it's not necessary. The choke was so oily that between every bite I found myself wiping my hands off. I find this annoying- I want to taste the food in mass consumption, not spend half my night wiping my hands! It was not a hit in my opinion.

Colleen got a jumbo shrimp cocktail! I am starting to think that she is obsessed with shrimp cocktails the way that I am obsessed with Mac N Cheese.


Yes my Muffin Topzz, that is a picture of me stuffing my face with the seared yellow tail appetizer. If you look closely you can see Andie in the background! Her face is priceless.





My Dad, Colleen, and I started out meal with a cup of lobster bisque. As I have mentioned before, I love lobster bisque. I love a thick cream base and the subtle hint of lobster!!! Oh My Gosh I die for rich food and this lobster bisque did not disappoint!
Chad ordered the shrimp Christopher


Colleen again got shrimp- and ordered a shrimp ceveche
My Dad ordered the scallops- which I am so glad that he did because I had been debating ordering them myself. They were great! Perfectly cooked! I know this sounds pig like with all the appetizers that we ordered, but all I kept thinking was 4 scallops isn't enough food!

I ordered Drunken Mahi Mahi. It was served over a bed of tomato risotto which was heavenly. There were also, as you can see, 3 crab tostadas. OK, don't get me wrong, the tostadas were good and the presentation was pretty, but what was the point? I asked Andie at one point why they bothered putting them on the plate- it was a waste of food and of space on the plate!
As for the Drunken Mahi Mahi, it was delicious. The fish was perfectly cooked which is crucial in my opinion. The seasoning on the top of the fish, once grilled provided that texture that again, we all know I crave. The fish itself was flavorful without being overly done. The risotto was great, if you like risotto. It was creamy, soft and had subtle flavors that complemented the Mahi Mahi really nicely.

Andie had French Onion Soup- BORING
And Stephanie had Fish and Chips- EVEN MORE BORING so I didn't take a picture! Plus I told Stephanie that to get her food on the blog, she had to actually read the blog!



Dessert was incredible. I was again so excited for the table side presentation. For my birthday dessert I was served a mini Baked Alaska! Oreo cookie on the bottom, then chocolate/coffee ice cream, with baked meringue on top. This was served in a bed of berry sauce and between Chad and I, we ate the whole entire thing! I have a MAYJAH weakness for berry sauces and this was so tart and delicious! Definitely a nice touch for my birthday!


Colleen ordered a creme brulee. It was good. My favorite part of the creme brulee, as I am sure most other people feel the same way, is the sugar layer on top that you have to crack through to get to the yummy. It is such a fun thing and makes me feel like such a little kid to shatter the top and ruin the presentation but it tasted great!
I realized as we were eating this that Flan is almost the exact same thing as Creme Brulee but upside down. I don't know how many people have ever made homemade flan, but I have, multiple times and it is exactly the opposite. The delicate sugar that layers is on the bottom of the dish when you make flan, it is the lingering surprise at the bottom of the dish, whereas creme brulee its at the top. The treat is at the beginning. Just a random though I had while eating!



Lastly, was Andie's dessert. She ordered some kind of ice cream thing, covered in frozen chocolate. They do a table side presentation, and cover the whole thing in liquor, then light it on fire. Once on fire, they sprinkle what smells and tastes like nutmeg, and cinnamon over the dessert and the whole thing sparks like a sparkler from fourth of July. It is a really pretty presentation! I took a video for the blog, so everyone can see how pretty it is, but I am having issues uploading the video. I will keep you posted.
As far as taste, I am not sure if the chef had a heavy hand, or if the alcohol didn't burn off all the way, but it tasted like bad liquor and chocolate to me. Neither of those things I love so I cannot say that the flavors held up against the presentation!

Dinner at The Catch was great. Overall the food was incredible, everyone was pleased with their dinners, and the company was great! The service was great and the atmosphere was nice. We sat outside on the patio in the great big lounge chairs which my dad LOVED. My dad is a tall man, at 6 foot 8 inches tall so it isn't easy to find him a chair he loves, but these were it! We sat outside, enjoyed the weather, and had a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment